Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Coming out of the closet

I'm a closet bird watcher. When I lived at my old house in Ohio, I used to take my grandfather's binoculars and look at the cardinals, chickadees, robins, and mourning doves. I still enjoy watching birds, but I don't have as much opportunity. Nowadays I watch birds at Gran's house. She has a couple feeders that attract quite a few birds. Recently on my drive from Indiana to Iowa, my wife and I spotted around 30 hawks (mostly Red-tailed), 3 Bald Eagles, and at least 10 American Kestrels. We also saw a hand full of deer and a coyote. I enjoy looking for our my furry/feathered neighbors.

2 comments:

  1. Yay! I will love reading this Ben. Oh Granny and the birds... LOVE HER! Ask her about the time one flew in her house and I caught it and released it outside thinking I saved it's life and down swoops a hawk and snatches it up. So really I was releasing it to it's death HA! So traumitizing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sort of remember you liking birds, but now the secret is out. :) When we were driving back from Seattle at Christmas, I saw tons of birds flying south for the winter. Jenn thinks it was Canadian Geese. It was cool because they were all in the traditional 'V' formation.

    ReplyDelete