Saturday, April 25, 2009

Holes in the ground

I just got back from a trip down memory tunnel. I went with the scouts to Buckner's Cave today. I went a long time ago when I was a scout and then again with Seth one time. We had one turn back when he saw the entrance. The opening is pretty big, but then it turns off to the left into the "birth canal." To get in there you have to go head first into a hole-like tunnel and out into the canal. Then it's roughly 100 yards of crawling/rolling/scootching. Then it opens up so you can stand. The cave is too big to explore all in one day (we only stayed 3 - 4 hours). We decided to go towards the waterfall. I don't think I've ever gone that way before.

The way there was like a really narrow slot canyon. Parts of the way you could traverse above the stream, but there came a point where I had to crawl in the water. Then the stream goes down a hole that is at the top of another room. People have put in a rope to climb down. That was fun climbing down and up a waterfall. It was only about 15 - 17 feet.

The only bad part is knowing that you have to go back out the same way you came in. That wasn't so fun. But all in all an excellent trip.

Sorry I don't have any pictures, but it was really dusty and wet which equals muddy in places. It feels good to be clean again.

1 comment:

  1. Just thinking about it gives this claustrophobic old man the hibby jibbies. Glad you had a little fun in the out (or under-) doors.

    ReplyDelete